Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tadaa- - - - - !

One thing I can't keep track of is the dishes. Like magic, everyday there are more and more. They keep multiplying and, what's more, they like to hide about my room. It's my one goal, at the beginning of the day, to clear up last night's mess.

Today is the first sunny day in a long time. I can't remember the last time it was this sunny. For me, it comes at a time in my life when I'm writing again - as you can tell by the presence of a blog entry today.

I've picked up the keys and decided to start throwing them out in odd arrangements again. My only problem, it's a sunny day - why does this happen now, when I should be outside doing something?

All in good time.

I'll finish up the Christmas holiday with some travel tips:

1. Avoid travel in the winter unless you are Scandinavian.
2. Never use a taxi in Prague. We paid 40euros for a taxi ride that would have cost us 1euro in public transport. Ouch!
3. People in Prague are incredibly cranky. Bring thicker skin with you or a HUGE can of bug spray to attack that beetle that's up their _____.
4. The Czech Republic is not a part of the EU. They have their own currency and their own way of doing things: haggling. If you're not in a restaurant, it's perfectly reasonable for you to haggle over prices.
5. Smoking hotels, where every room is smoking, exist in Prague. My friend and I stayed in one, to our chagrin.
6. It's hard to find accommodations during the holidays, especially near New Year's. We paid 35euro per person, in Vienna, for a shared 6 bed hostel room. Moral of the story: French young'uns are loud. If you choose to travel directly after New Year's, it is incredibly cheap. I went to Vienna a week later with a friend and we got a private double room - with kitchen, bathroom, and living room - for 30euros in all. See this site: www.booking.com Off season travel is very cheap.

2 comments:

Eric Shonkwiler said...

Here's my travel advice: It's cold at night in Monument Valley in January. Bring a tent.

Katie K said...

I still want to see the stars. Will thermal underwear suffice?