Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Back to/from Sweden

On Friday I went back to Sweden. The journey started at an eye-melting 4:35am when I promptly caught a train to Vienna. Traveling is about catching things: trains, planes, buses, rare and exotic diseases. The possibilities are endless. All in all, from train to bus to plane, I arrived in Sweden around 2pm.

Flying into Stockholm, the Arlanda airport, is a stark reminder that you are arriving in a land tenderly embracing the arctic circle. The colors are the shades of gray and rust, with dashes of forest green thrown in liberally to taste. One thought promptly sprang to mind as I watched the Swedish scenery grow steadily closer: it looks like the train dioramas that my family used to make. The trees look like toothpicks with a bit of haphazardly glued green fluff. There are stones, moss, lichen. It looks so antique. Old? Archaic? Contrived? The light of fall doesn't help (the lack of light). Once August rolls around, you desperately realize that this is a country gripped by a weak sun for 8 solid months.

But for me that grim reality was like eating a familiar plate of grandma's cooking. It tastes familiar and known, delicious and comforting. But despite this picturesque quality of Sweden there are some downsides to this wonderful country.

Friendliness is a virtue
Swedish people are not a friendly bunch. What I mean is, they will not shower you with pleasantries upon first meeting. Store clerks are not beholden to smile. Do not expect eye contact. That's just how the Swedes are. They enjoy their solitude in the dark confines of their Ikea furnished rooms, drinking Absolut, and listening to metal music. This is partially facilitated, I theorize, by the lack of sun and warmth for most of the year.

However, not all Swedes are the same. The Swede that I know is quite the friendly fellow, outgoing, joking, and playful. Much was my surprise when I found out that not all Swedes are the same.

However, get a Swede around enough alcohol and he might swear fealty to you, try to imitate Sean Connery, and gallantly plunge into the political debate with that self-righteous verve that makes a Swede a Swede. This is formally known as the "Jekyll and Hyde" complex. I kid you not, this is an actual term recounted to me by Swedish students and would explain the high alcohol consumption levels of the country.

But do not fear. If you plan to travel to Sweden, come prepared with an excessively positive and friendly outlook. It is quite possible to break through that icy, arctic exterior and expose the fertile soil beneath(which might be partially frozen so watch out). Think on: Never give up, never surrender. Above all, don't take it personally and put on your thick skin.

But moving on...
Alright, enough of me making fun of the Swedes. My teachers asked me today how I enjoyed the trip and I answered: "It was fantastic! Dark, cold, wet!" But when you travel, I think it's about the people and as well as the place. I had an excessive amount of fun hanging out with my Swedish friend. I was able to visit old haunts and discover some new ones. We went to an exquisite Japanese restaurant for some of the best sushi I've had since Japan. I downloaded some entertainment, watched some movies, cooked real food!!!!!! Generally, I relaxed and regained some of the energy that I've been missing since coming to Austria.

Now I'm back to the grindstone. I just gathered my nerve to call the archery club, opted to join in on the practice on Friday. I'm still chasing tails on the horseback riding - maybe this weekend. Made some friends with a few students, possible fun to come. Have a few students interested in doing tutoring, which will help my bank account. All in all, life goes on in endless song. :)

1 comment:

Lucilius said...

Love this post. Beautiful and humorous. Not unlike the poster.

Sorry I've been distant. My world is forever a tangle of immature students; loud, obnoxious parents; and not nearly enough sleep. Will get back to you when the dust clears this weekend--I'll be on break in Michigan. Till then, enjoy Austria!