Monday, November 24, 2008

The Cynic vs. The Pessimist

Up and onward - let's keep talking about the recent past.

Last night I followed a teacher home, so meekly and quietly that a puppy would feel shame. Well, maybe not a puppy on a cold winter's night. More like a puppy on a warm summer evening. In any case, it was with lackluster energy. What I really need is a good argument. Somebody, come stir my brain!

Last night resulted in six hours of baking. We finished off five different sorts but one died (wasn't my fault, I swear!). I now have a full tin of cookies that will last me 3-4 weeks.

Things I learned:
°Cinnamon and nutmeg have 'happy' properties. Maybe Mom shouldn't have stopped dad from putting nutmeg on everything.
°Ah, almonds are very good for the digestive system.
°Austrians have a whole different baking vocabulary than the Germans.
°For cookies that didn't require eggs, we used a huge wooden board for the mixing and not a bowl. Messy fun!

Results:


My scarf is now finished. I had incorrectly ended it but my l33t teacher fixed it in about 5 minutes.

And then I had one of those sleepless nights where the brain runs mechanically and without rest. It was quite interesting - I had some very lucid dreams that were full of texture. I rarely get texture; my dreams are usually like bubbles. But the bad part of the night was getting up at 6am without having had any rest. Wherever my brain went in the dreaming world, I think it left itself there. Today, both my teachers canceled class but I opted to hang around for two hours and accompany the teacher who had me for baking. I just need to stay coherent until 9:20am. Must. Stay. Awa.... ...

Ah, but the main point of this post was: Two teachers have both argued with me over the difference between a pessimist and a cynic. But to me, they are one and the same: unhappy people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. Neither find joy in their surroundings. For one, the glass is half empty, for the other, the glass is dirty.