Thursday, February 26, 2009

Little Excerpt

This is just a little something I jotted down hurriedly in my notebook on the way to Berlin.  Early mornings inspire me - when I'm awake enough to greet them properly.  This is an example of how my brain functions early in the morning.  I'm on my way from my home to the train station - about a 20 minute walk.

Walking to the station before the break of dawn.  A bird calls.  Somewhere music plays but where?  I can't find the source.  Is there always music and I hear it now only because the world is asleep and silent?  Barely anyone is awake.  Have to be careful on the ice.  Walk tenderly.  McDonald's is open.  Comforting, like home.  I know that at least one other poor soul is awake.  Bakery is just opening too.  Woman on bicycle.  Creak of a sign somewhere sounds apocolypitic, repetitive, erie.  I hurry on in mock fear.  Music is stilly playing loudly in a bar.  It's night music but it's early morning now. People still crowded in for a drink.  I can nearly smell the cigarettes.  A car passes and I wish he'd give me a lift.  Another car passes - same wish.  The font on that sign is interesting.  Looks hand painted.  Getting closer the station now.  Restaurant is called something - something Gastronomie.  Another punnish names comes to mind: Institute der Gastronomie.  Cute but somehow unappealing.  There's vomit nearby.  It isn't frozen yet.  Also unappealing.  I can see the train station.  Looks dark.  Man walks out to his car but his door is frozen shut.  Should I help or say hello?  Acknowledge his struggle?  He has it open.  Hurry along.  Ticket room is unlit but there's a young man inside pacing back and forth.  No response to 'Good Morning.'  Not so good afterall.  Buy ticket and it's more expensive than I thought.  I double check.  Five minutes to go.  Waiting in the waiting room.  Boy starts to play Green Day loudly on his cell phone.  Train arrives.  

3 comments:

Lucilius said...

Are you related to James Joyce?

Katie K said...

I wish! :D That would mean I'd be Irish or have Irish roots, which would clash with my Welsh roots (to be honest but lets not). I need to read him. Tomorrow, library, we have a date.

Lucilius said...

Start with "The Dead" from a short story collection called "Dubliners." Then, move at will through the short fiction. If you want to break into the stream-of-consciousness stuff, start with "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man." You can try either "Finnegan's Wake" or "Ulysess" after that, but you probably won't get past the first page without wanting to gouge your eyes out.

Expect some emails soon from my middle schoolers.

Wish I could be in on that date. :)