Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hay Day

A week to the day, I stumbled upon a group of students in the school lobby practicing traditional Austrian dance. Much to their chagrin, I caught some on video. Nowadays, whenever you see a video camera, camera, or cellphone taking video, you know that it's going to end up on Youtube:



It's the Christmas season: the students have lots of tests; the parents (mothers and grandmothers) are baking scores of cookies; and the young eagerly await St. Nicholas. St. Nicholas comes on or around the 6th of December, St. Nicholas' Day. In Germany, I had to clean my shoes and put them outside my door. The next day, I found them mysteriously stuffed with chocolate, nuts, and a mandarin orange. Austrians like to take things a little more personal.

St. Nicholas, instead of creeping around at night like he does in Germany, likes to make an appearance. He goes to schools, homes, the town square, and he's usually accompanied by 'bodyguards', called the Krampus. I had wondered why the majority of Austrian children were so well behaved. Apparently, the are scared out of their wits to do anything BUT be good. It could be worse. You could come from a the Salzburg area and have to face Perchten. Horns, homemade masks, and animal fleeces. Judging by the intricacy of some of the costumes, some blokes must spend a heck of a lot of time planning and constructing those things!

It's a nightmare! To think, I was afraid of clowns and Santa Clause at a young age. This leaves me to wonder: are Americans fraidy-cats? Would we gain from this tradition? Is being fearless (or lacking fear of the bizarre) a good thing?

The Krampus are usually young men and boys who chase after small children and pretty girls with sticks, beating them as they flee. The Perchten - I'm not sure what they do. Possibly the same but I would imagine that their looks are damaging enough.

Anyway, that's Friday and Saturday. What are you doing this weekend?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The PA Germans had/have the tradition of Belschnickel (st Nicholas in furs) that is often portrayed as scary. they carry sticks to switch the naughty children, but also a bag of treats for the good ones. Obviously an encouragement for niceness there.

Yes Katie, you were afraid of that big fat bloke in red. Most of our early santa/kids photos gave a clear picture down your throat! We did make the trial as quick as possible. I always wondered why we did those photos...tradition I guess.