Saturday, May 9, 2009

Every problem...

...is just a cleverly concealed opportunity. I learned this bit of information from a friend and it's very helpful, if a bit self-serving. I mean, I started thinking "how can I use this situation to my benefit" for about everything: from the crowd of Turkish kids outside the grocery store to the schnuffly, schnotty feelings in my head. It works, I guess, but I can't help but feel a little bit like a cad.

But I have a few big problems that I am desperately trying to make into opportunities.
1.) Paypal ate 200euros and I can't contact tech services. No...
2.) Summer employment?

Today is another day all about the little things. The sun was shining and it was pretty warm. I escaped to the rooftop for an hour to read a book and lie in the sun; did laundry and carted everything (clothes and drying rack) up to the rooftop to dry; and I went shopping for food. That was the grand expanse to the day's activities. I chatted with a few friends online, did a bit of research, had my return flight date changed (I now return on the evening of June 2nd!), and basically did a grand nothing. The excuse is a pernicious sickness that just won't leave me alone. Tscha, I've gone through almost a liter of OJ today. Elixir of life, I hope it does the trick.

From the rooftop, I could hear the announcer calling out the score from the city soccer stadium not too far away. I also thought about Mother's Day tomorrow. Happy Mother's Day, all you mothers! :)

I'm watching Fruits Basket, a Japanese Anime. Alright, I can hear your clucking all the way from here! The Japanese have a good knack for capturing cute morals. Example: Onigiri are rice balls that are usually filled with salmon roe or some such sea flavoring or just plain with an 'umeboshi' (pickled plum) stuck to the outside. Now, the main character in this anime ponders about why people become jealous of others. She uses the Onigiri as an example. If an Onigiri were to look down at itself, it would think it was just plain rice but, in truth, there is actually a great big Umeboshi stuck to its back. Go figure. We can only see other people's Umeboshi and not our own. Some people have trouble recognizing their own beautiful qualities. Ah, well. I thought it was cute.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: