Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Addendum to the Aufenthaltstitel

I've been here for nearly two weeks now, as a teacher's assistant. The time has been really lively, each class has something different about it, whether it's the students, the teacher, or the material. I'm never sure what to expect.

Since it's the first time that I'm in these classes, I have to do introductions - meaning I talk about myself for 10-15 minutes and then field any questions they might have. Boy oh boy, I'm tired of myself!

I've also covered topics like: the American school system, the American election, stereotypes, etc. But sometimes more interesting subjects crop up spontaneously. Last week, during a 7:30am class (God, it hasn't gotten much easier waking up that early), I had to stumble through FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) with a class, a topic that I haven't ever studied in-depth. An hour later I had to go over eating disorders with another class. I feel somewhat bad for the students; because I don't know much about the topic, I just dish-out my opinions and discuss how such things are viewed in America. But SO EARLY in the morning! And with little forewarning... The surprises in this job never end.

Sunday was the "last rose of summer" over here. It was quite warm and the sun had broken through the thick fog over Ried for the first time in a week. I took the opportunity to walk around town and snap some pictures in the quiet Sunday afternoon. Nothing is open on a Sunday besides the odd restaurant for an afternoon meal. Besides that, no shopping can be done. You have to think ahead and buy food on Sunday or else you'll feel the pinch of forgetfulness in your belly on Sunday.

On Monday, I was quite spontaneous. *beams* I taught in the morning for a few class periods and followed my last teacher out of the building. We were chatting and she mentioned that she was going to run and get manure for her garden. Somehow she mentioned that she would normally invite me home and I interjected that if she needed help moving manure - an occupation to which I feel completely at home - that I would gladly help her. Well, that was that. We left right from the school and she took me home. I played with her three dogs and two young daughters. We worked in her garden and I got to meet a farmer, which may lead to a possible exchange of English tutoring for riding time (a wishful hope). And I can tell you that manure here smells the same as in the States.

It was wonderful! I fell in love with her Fox Terrier named "Belle" who is just like a long-legged, younger Dazzle. I want a dog!!

The only downside to such a fantastic time is how quiet the room seems when I return. The one bed stands empty, the windows are dark, and even the drapes weep solitude. In that sense, today was terrible. I felt quite unsteady, bewildered by what I'm only now beginning to feel as a creeping loneliness. I know my weapons, I know the battle strategy to combat this foe. But knowing and doing are two different creatures and to best the "do", I've got to work on myself a bit more.

Today there was a moment of panic when I received an email from our Supreme Commander. There's some tricky paperwork involved with our payment schedule that is time sensitive. When I got an email about a copy of my Visa being needed, I panicked because I'd never been asked for one. It being only the afternoon, I dashed onto my and flew down to school, only to discover that the secretary's office was closed till 2pm. That left an hour to kill. I took the time to sit in a nearby park and gather myself up; did some soul searching and found that I really have too much time on my hands and that the old adage: Idle hands make idle minds, is a load of tripe. My mind is so un-idle, it's driving me to physical illness!

Anyway, at 2pm I went to see the secretary, a very kind, quick, and efficient lady. She understood my concern but said that they'd never required any such document before. She even called the proper authorities, the Landschulrat, to double check. Nope, turns out the email I got was just a general "reminder" to everyone. *head slam* I hate it when death-tolling emails turn out to be only the clangs of an alarm clock, especially when it involves my paycheck!

A few new pics:
Once Upon an Austria

No comments: