Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Familiar with debate

Today was a rare day of long classes full of taxing questions. It started at 7:30am and lasted for four hours of class discussion after class discussion. I faced many bouts of political-based questions: "Are you proud to be an American? Do you like Bush? Was it right that America went into Iraq?" ETC. One teacher wanted me to go over Barack Obama, the life and times of said dude. Two others requested that I review the American system of election. And a fourth was interested in education and general discussion.

One thing I noticed - explaining the electoral college is difficult. It's a bit hard for me to understand why something so undemocratic and old fashioned is still in place and to explain that a candidate can win the electoral vote but loose the election. I reasoned that equal representation is something difficult - almost as illusive as perfection - and the electoral college is there to help. Did you know that the British Labor Party uses an electoral college to elect its leader?

Plans are shaping up for Christmas. As you may or may not know, I am not returning stateside for the big day. That decision is going to be hard to bear the sooner December comes around but my plans are to visit a dear friend in Berlin. Besides, the days and weeks preceding Christmas were always more fun for me - putting up the decorations, breaking out the Christmas music CDs and DVDs, baking cookies, moving down a day on the advent calender, etc. Anticipation is beautiful and the Christmases of my childhood remain picture-perfect for me. I am very lucky to have such lovely memories.

Knitting project number one is almost done! A handy scarf. Soon, I will have the armor to combat an Austrian winter! Although, my students tell me that there could either be lots of snow - or nothing at all. *sigh* Sounds just like home!

No comments: