Friday, October 10, 2008

End of Week One

Week one is over but I'll begin this post with a little backward step to last weekend's orientation. I'd taken this video while up in the Austrian mountains on our hiking trip:
And then I forgot about it until now. It seems that, with the more time I have, the more things I end up forgetting. It's quite troublesome. If I don't respond to emails directly, it's because I receive them, think of how nice it would be to reply, and then I get distracted by the Nothing. How could Nothing be distracting? Just ask Sebastien from The Neverending Story.

Good news is that I have friends now! *impossibly huge grin* And if I am too bold in calling them friends, at least they are really interesting people with whom I can freely talk. There is an Italian girl living next door to me and we have fun talking in halting German. I think we have a similar mentality because when the German doesn't fit, we often resort to shoulder-shrugs and other gestures. I've also gotten to learn an interesting guy from Romania who can speak fluent German, English, and Italian. This makes him the perfect companion for my Italian friend and I. He's impossibly talented. Languages on his "to-do" list, as he says, are Russian and Japanese. We are going to have a party tomorrow.

And this is how it goes for the first week - the week days are somewhat long and slow, flappy, and full of free time. The weekends are packed with various meetings with friends new and old - over Austria. The scales are not equally balanced.

P.S. I splurged and bought a large roll of chocolate filled cookies. BAD life decision. First day, and I'm already through half the pack.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would use the word 'companions'. What multilingual fun!
ps. There's nothing wrong with cookies in my book. (obviously).

Eric Shonkwiler said...

So, is it just the air in Austria and the surrounding countries that makes the footage look like recovered WWII-era film? I expected you to pan around and see Hitler and Eva playing with their dog.